Q: Air con

I had my air con recharged last year abd have ben putting it on every coupke of weeks for half an hour. Just lately all it seems to do is blow warm once again. I thought it would last longer than 10months? Does this mean it needs a recharge already?

A: Most of the time, <a href...

Hi there:

Most of the time, air conditioning recharging will last anywhere from one to three years. It really depends on how often it's used, where you live and the condition of the overall AC system. One problem that often gets overlooked in AC maintenance is the air conditioning high pressure hose. This device is used to supply extra pressure to the AC system during idle to ensure cool air continues to flow when the air conditioning unit runs slower. When the car is accelerating the high pressure hose is not very active.

If your car is blowing warm air while it idles, but blows cool air when driving the problem may be with the hose. I think your best bet it to have your AC system inspected by a local ASE certified mechanic to check for leaks; especially if you plan on keeping your car for an extended period of time.