Q: After starting, the transmission will not go into gear

Just after starting my car the transmission will not go into gear. This also happens when the car is off. Replacements that have been made are: clutch cable, complete clutch assembly, and clutch pedal assembly. When depressing the clutch, there is good pressure. At two different auto shops I have had the transmission inspected. Both of them told me that the transmission is in good shape. At one point, a stage two clutch was used, but caused some problems which were fixed by my putting the original parts and clutch back on. In your expertise, what can I do next to get my car in good running condition?

A: Hi there. Did you replace the pilot bearing...

Hi there. Did you replace the pilot bearing when replacing the clutch assembly? A frozen or seized pilot bearing will behave as you describe. Since you mention having to revert to stock clutch components, it is necessary to confirm proper clutch hydraulic operation, adequate clutch release bearing movement, etc. To have this problem scoped out, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting problem and pinpoint the repairs that are needed.