car starts only when held in cranking position. mazda 626...

Q: car starts only when held in cranking position.

Car stays on only if I hold in starting position once I let go of the keys car turns off. Tried buying a newer ignition switch but still having same issue.

Hi Juan. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Typically this issue happens because the electrical circuit from the ignition switch, to the starter is not completed, so when you let go of the key in the forward position, power will stop flowing to the ignition system and the car will stall. The problem is diagnosing the source of this problem, which can range from an exposed wire, bad ground or faulty relay. You might want to have a mechanic help you locate the root source so the right repairs can be made.