Q: Car won't start after driving without the cap on the antifreeze.

I was putting antifreeze in my explorer and forgot to cap it back. I want driving and I noticed the car was smoking. I pulled over and put the cap back on. I drove almost home and the engine turned off at the stop light. I tried to start it and I'm getting a lil sound like it wants to crank but it doesn't. If it got all over my alternator would that stop it from turning over??? Please help me

Hi there. From the description you have provided, antifreeze getting on the alternator would not keep the engine from turning over unless the battery was low. The alternator could have been compromised by the antifreeze, if your vehicle was driven far enough with the alternator not charging.

This would account for the engine turning off and not turning over, assuming the engine was not overheated due to the low antifreeze level. The battery and alternator require inspection. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why your vehicle won’t turn over and suggest any needed repairs.