Q: Malfunction indictor lamp comes on and car won't move

For the past several years, I have had this same ongoing problem regarding the transmission, shifting, and gears. After trying to shift into Drive, the malfunction indicator lamp comes on and the car won’t move. It will rev in place, like when in neutral. The first repair job replaced the electrical led light assembly and the front wiring assembly harness. The 2nd work was performed 2 weeks after that when the transmission inhibitor switch was replaced, as well as the cruise control switch. Yesterday, while driving I had the same problem. While pulling out of a parking space, I went into Drive and lost the shifting/acceleration capability. I then put the car back into Park for just a few moments and then tried again. The gear then popped into Drive. This intermittent problem has been happening since yesterday. The malfunction indicator lamp has been on continually since then. Is this problem fixable and would you please give me advice on how to proceed?

You should first have the code scanned in the computer and then diagnosed to see what is causing the concern. If you have a floor shifter and have spilled fluid into the shifter, then you may be getting shorting in the selector switch. The connector to the shift selector should be checked for corrosion and dielectric lube put in and reconnected to see if it corrects the problem. If you want to have this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect your MIL and perform the necessary repair.

3. Malfunction indictor lamp comes on and car won't move