Q: Q: Brakes are squeaking

Is it true that Audi has replaced asbestos with semi-metallic brake pads and is it normal that they squeak? Appreciate your help.

Yes, brake pads are no longer made of asbestos based on the possibility of exposure and possible development of mesothelioma. They have been replaced by several different types of material. Common materials are organic, metallic, and ceramic. Organic are great when the material is not heated up whereas metallics work well once the material generates heat. Semi-metallic is generally a mixture of organic and metallic materials so they should perform well cold or hot, but they are prone to brake chatter (squealing). Ceramic pads are more expensive and work well along with not being as susceptible to chatter.

3. Q: Brakes are squeaking