Q: the engine is cranking but not starting

asked by on February 22, 2017

okay. so i was driving home from school and i went through a stop light and it died. looked it up and found a couple things that it could be. one of those was the distributor. i replaced the distributor cap and cleaned the rotor with cleaner. and it seemed to do the trick for the people that had the same exact issue. but not for me. what else could possibly be the issue?

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If your troubles instantly occurred; meaning your were driving just fine, then the engine shut down and no longer starts, it’s likely that you damaged an ignition or electrical system component. Although the distributor or cap and internal rotor might be a source, in many cases; it’s due to a main relay that broke and needs to be replaced. However, there could be dozens of possible reasons, so it’s probably better for you to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete a car is hard to start inspection.

Hello. It will be best to properly troubleshoot the vehicle. Three necessities for an engine to run are fuel, air and Spark. The ignition system will have to be checked to make sure the spark is getting to the spark plugs. Also the fuel system should be checked to make sure that the fuel pressure is reaching the engine as specified. Lastly the air input should be checked by making sure the inlet is free of restrictions and that the mass air flow sensor is clean. In order of probability, you may have a bad crank position sensor, a bad fuel pump, or a bad mass air flow sensor. Please keep in mind that a technician here at YourMechanic could come help you with your vehicle if requested.

You are able to find a technician and schedule an appointment here

https://www.yourmechanic.com