Q: After putting gas in, the car is hard to start. While running, it stalls if I take the gas cap off

After putting gas in car it is hard to start. While running, I took the gas cap off and it stalled and quit and the check engine light came on. Have been told it could be MAF Sensor. This only happens after getting gas.

Hi, thanks for writing in. You may have a purge control valve that is stuck open letting the fumes into the intake system even when vehicle is off. This will flood the engine with fumes when refueling the car and will allow too much air into intake if you take gas cap off. Check and replace the purge valve. If you are still experiencing issues, I recommend having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect, diagnose, and repair the issue.

3. After putting gas in, the car is hard to start. While running, it stalls if I take the gas cap off