Q: After changing the accelerator position sensor, the car will not start.

After changing the accelerator position sensor, the car will not start. We were told to disconnect the battery and then hold the positive and negative cables together for a minute to reset the computer. We did this and the car still would not start. We then re-connected the old sensor (without mounting it on the bracket) and still no start. Theoretically (according to the parts people) the sensor required nothing to be reset. I just hooked up a battery charger at a 2 amp charge rate and it indicated 12 volts with 40% charge. We'll see, in the morning, if a full charge changes anything. If it doesn't we are at the end of our current knowledge of what to do! Any help will be greatly appreciated. While not totally ignorant in electronics, I'm far more comfortable with the mechanical end of things.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. We get this ques...

Hi, thanks for writing in. We get this question quite often. Holding the battery terminals aren't supposed to clear error codes stored in the ECM. The correct procedure for clearing error codes that were stored in your ECM when the accelerator position sensor was damaged, is to connect a professional digital scanner and reset the codes. This needs to be done by a mechanic that has this type of device. Contact one of our local mechanics that can show up to your home or office to complete a check engine light reset inspection for you.