Q: Accelerating from red light, car jerks; also at 25-35 mph

After sitting at a red light, I accelerated and the car jerked; then it was a few seconds before it would accelerate again. It happened again when I was going between 25-35 mph. This keeps happening. I have been to the dealership “five” times and they can't find what is causing this. I was determined so I have gone back, yet again. This time they told me that the transmission should be replaced. Before I agree to that, I would like your professional diagnosis and do you agree regarding the transmission needing replacement?

A: Hello there. Many different faults can caus...

Hello there. Many different faults can cause the vehicle to jerk and have acceleration issue. The most likely cause of these are spark plugs, battery, alternator, fuel pump, low transmission fluid, MAF sensor, vacuum leak, exhaust leak or oxygen sensor. All of these would need to be ruled out before the transmission was replaced. If the transmission is failing, there will generally be a Check Engine Light that indicates an internal fault within the transmission. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the jerking issue and perform any repairs required.