Q: AC failed, warm air still flows

The air conditioning in my 2007 Honda CR-V failed at the absolute worst time. I was stuck in traffic on a hot day in July when the cold air stopped flowing. I am very disappointed, the car is otherwise fine at 140,000 miles. What is the most cost-effective way to fix a broken AC?

Having over 140,000 miles on your CRV, you have missed out on a Technical Service Bulletin(TSB) that extended the warranty to 100,000 miles for the A/C compressor clutch assembly replacement. Your vehicle may have had this repair in the past. This TSB was to replace a worn out clutch and A/C coil as needed. When it comes to repair and diagnosis of an A/C system on vehicles, YourMechanic will go through a thorough check of all components to verify system integrity. If your system all of a sudden just started blowing warm air, it indicates that a failed A/C compressor, clutch assembly or a leak caused the system to stop working. There have been other owners that have had compressor failures along with clutch failures. I would recommend replacing the entire compressor assembly if needed, due to high labor costs of replacing individual parts. Either way, YourMechanic would recommend a course of actions based on their diagnosis.