Q: My traction control is off and half of the engine doesn't work, I hooked up a computer to it and the P0800 code is on

asked by on October 31, 2016

Half of my engine isn't working properly, I can barely drive on it, it shows the P0800 code is on, but I have no idea on how to fix it, can you send me list of steps that I have to do?

Hello, thanks for writing in. P0800 is the trouble code for an issue with the vehicle’s Transfer Case Control system. When the transfer case control module, a computer that is separate from the engine computer, detects an issue with the transfer case systems circuits, or sensors it will send a signal to the engine computer to set off the light.

This can be caused by a few different things. The most common causes are issues with one or more of the 4WD/AWD system’s sensors, actuators, or a wiring issue. As P0800 is a general code, and only indicates that there is some sort of fault, not what the exact fault is.

If there are no other trouble codes present to help identify the specific issue then the vehicle will have to be diagnosed in order to determine what the exact problem is. If you’d like to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to diagnose the trouble code further and help you make the necessary repair.