Q: ABS, CEL lights on

My ABS light, brake light, CEL p0500 light are on my 2008 Scion xD. The speedometer and odometer are not working. Battery acid is leaking from the battery. The transmission is stuck in limp mode. I have replaced the vehicle speed sensor mounted on the transmission, the battery which is leaking again and the anti-lock braking system module. My wheel speed sensors appear to be in good condition. The mechanic can't talk to the new ABS module, but said it was working after it was installed. My car has been starting and stays charged. What could be wrong? Could it be the alternator? Thanks.

A: If the ABS light is not illuminated, then i...

If the ABS light is not illuminated, then it's likely operating correctly as it generally illuminate when a fault is present. The leaking of the battery is a cause of concern.

It signifies one of two issues: a damaged battery case, or overcharging by the alternator. The charging system performance should be checked. Looking at the charging current both with and without load should be observed.

If the charging current output remains constant under both a heavy consumer load and a low consumer load condition, this would indicate a possible overcharging condition, especially under a low consumer load condition.

The condition would need to be corrected immediately not only to protect the battery but the vehicle electrical system. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to access the charging system and battery condition and correct the warning lights to ensure no further damage of the vehicle results.