A/C problem - 2007 Honda Civic honda civic compressors re...

Q: A/C problem - 2007 Honda Civic

asked by on September 06, 2016

Barbican AC Pro to recharge the air conditioner it was working fairly but wasn't cold enough put a can of AC Pro in it made the mistake of turning it upside down and introducing liquid into the line and probably blew the compressor up asking if putting liquid refrigerant in the line will ruin the compressor

Hello. It is possible to damage the compressor by introducing liquid refrigerant. The compressor is designed to compress vapor or gas, not liquids which indeed are not compressible. If your system is not working right now, a possibility is you have simply overcharged it. Overcharging could implicate the high pressure cut off (safety) switch and overcharging will actually REDUCE the cooling capacity of the system if it is running. Note that it is illegal to vent refrigerants to the atmosphere.

R134a is a powerful "global warming" compound. Therefore, in your circumstance, if you suspect that maybe you have simply overcharged the system, the best thing to do, is to have an expert completely recover (evacuate) the system and then charge EXACTLY the factory specified amount in ounces and tenths of R134a.

If you are lucky, the system will run. Prior to evacuating, ask the technician to use an Infrared Refrigerant Leak Detector, or comparable technique, to search for any small leaks and determine the rate of leak. That detector will tell you rate. If it as low as 0.1 ounces per year, don’t bother repairing.

If the system does not work, you might have to install a new compressor along with a new dryer and also hope that, if it failed, no metallic debris was introduced in the tubing. In no event should stop leak products be used unless specified by Honda in the Factory Service Manual or other official Honda repair advice. If you need further help with this diagnosis, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect your AC system to let you know what needs to be done.