Q: My car is in limp mode - 1997 Ford Taurus

asked by on November 16, 2016

My car is in limp mode after cracking the oil filter this morning. Lost all the oil, drove it in limp mode to gas station where it is parked. If I put new oil in, change the fuel filter, and reset the battery terminal will it still be in limp mode? Any help is greatly appreciated as im trying to sell this car today.

If you cracked your oil filter and the engine pumped out all the oil and you continued to drive it, you may have damaged the internal bearing of the motor. If you perform an oil and filter change you may be able to start and run the engine, but the damage will have already of been done. Once you start the motor, if you hear engine noise then you will know the engine was damaged and will need major internal repairs or engine replacement. Have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come and perform the oil and filter change and check for the internal engine damages.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr