Q: 99 Accord turns over and fuel pump runs when I turn key, but will not start. What could be the issue? 1999 Honda Accord

When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. The lights dim when I turn the key and battery is fine. Engine turns over, but will not fire and start up. Car was not started for a week and temperature is below 20 degrees. Car was not left with much gas in the tank, but I put HEAT in the gas tank and 2 gallons of gas in the tank and no change. Wondering what else to check and if there are things that I can replace for low part cost and that are easily repaired by novice mechanic.

Hello - when you say that the lights dim while trying to start the engine, I suspect that the battery may not be strong enough to spin the engine fast enough in low temperatures to catch and run. With your advanced mileage, cylinder compression is probably a bit lower than originally - and may not be compressing the air/fuel mix enough to start. Weak or corroded battery connections can also contribute to this problem. I would recommend an engine start inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• 99 Accord turns over and fuel pump runs when I turn key, but will not start. What could be the issue? 1999 Honda Accord