Q: 99 Accord turns over and fuel pump runs when I turn key, but will not start. What could be the issue? 1999 Honda Accord

When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. The lights dim when I turn the key and battery is fine. Engine turns over, but will not fire and start up. Car was not started for a week and temperature is below 20 degrees. Car was not left with much gas in the tank, but I put HEAT in the gas tank and 2 gallons of gas in the tank and no change. Wondering what else to check and if there are things that I can replace for low part cost and that are easily repaired by novice mechanic.

Hello - when you say that the lights dim while trying to start the engine, I suspect that the battery may not be strong enough to spin the engine fast enough in low temperatures to catch and run. With your advanced mileage, cylinder compression is probably a bit lower than originally - and may not be compressing the air/fuel mix enough to start. Weak or corroded battery connections can also contribute to this problem. I would recommend an engine start inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. 99 Accord turns over and fuel pump runs when I turn key, but will not start. What could be the issue? 1999 Honda Accord