Q: 97 Ford F-150 4x4 shifting problem when wet

asked by on August 13, 2017

Doesn't shift after heavy rain and speedometer doesn't work will shift roughly through first and second but just stays in second

Hello, you have an electrical issue. The powertrain computer needs inputs to control the transmission shift points. The OSS(output speed sensor ) which reads in MPH on your speedometer. If a connector or wiring is directly exposed to water it affects the signal. It would be best to have a certified mechanic look at the vehicle and determine exactly what is going on. They have the specialty tools and techniques to pinpoint exactly where the problem is located. To get an idea of the cost to have repairs made, go to (https://www.yourmechanic.com/) and enter your specific information. If you need help identifying and repairing the issue, YourMechanic.com offers several options. They have trained mechanics that can come to your home, or place of business, and perform the diagnosis and repairs for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr