Q: I think my four wheel drive is locked. What will cause this issue?

asked by on November 15, 2016

Took out of 4 wheel drive, back in 2, changed front brakes back brakes, both brake hose in front.....abs light still on....still making couch noise when driving, won't accelerate....what is the problem

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

ABS Speed Sensor Replacement $103.84 - $582.33 Get a Quote

Hi there. There is an actuator on the front axle that engages the front axle to make the 4WD work. Your transmission is an all wheel drive transmission and the actuator is what disengages the front axle so the vehicle will only drive the rear wheels. Check the harness wires to the actuator and make sure that they are not broken or pulled out. If the wires are good, then the actuator may not be working. To verify this, jack the vehicle up and put on jack stands with all of the tires off the ground. Have someone put the vehicle in 4WD and then put the transmission in drive with the brake on. Let off the brake a little and listen for a click on the front axle. If there is no click, then the actuator is not engaging and needs replaced. If the actuator is working, then the hubs could be stripped out making the front wheels not turn with the axle shafts. For the ABS light being on, check the wheel sensors for any damage, dirty, or oil on them. Usually the wheel sensors will fail due to contamination. Replace any wheel sensor that is not working properly. If you need further assistance with your 4WD not engaging and the ABS light on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.