Q: 2016 Camry wont go into park

In the last week, my new Camry wouldn't shift into park when i reached my destination. I sat in the car for 5 min. until it released and allowed me to put it into park. This has happened twice already in a week and i'm afraid it's going to get worse if not looked at. Both times, the shifter would let me move it into R, N, and D, but it wouldnt allow me to go pass reverse for park. Therefore, i couldn't remove my my key and i sat in the car on N with my emergency break on. Do you know what this could be?

Hi there. When a transmission is hard to shift into gears, it’s likely due to either a failure of the brake switch (which is a safety system located under the brake pedal that permits the shifter to engage when pressing on the brake pedal), an obstruction under the shifter (debris) or a physical problem with shift linkage or other transmission components. With less than 50,000 miles on the vehicle, this is very odd, so I would highly recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is hard to shift inspection, so the right diagnosis can be completed.

3. 2016 Camry wont go into park