Q: 2006 Ford Escape oil pan is sweating, is it the gasket or is it the pan?

The mechanic said the oil pan is sweating and if I don't get it fixed it will make it porous? How can oil make it porous when oil is a lubricant? I need to top it up with oil every 1000 km or so. I am using synthetic oil. As well the mechanic said my front deferential are leaking oil as well. Is this the same kind of oil or is it automatic transmission oil. I put a cardboard under the vehicle and there are at least 4 to 6 drips every day. The oil spots are black not red. Is this a costly fix on both? Or is the mechanic trying to drum up a job? Thanks Carina

Well I’m not sure about the mechanic’s use of terms. If the oil pan is "sweating" oil, then that would dictate that the oil pan is already porous. It’s not an everyday thing to happen but I have seen it a time or two. It generally happens in regions that have harsh winters and lots of road salts are used. The oil pan rusts through and begins to seep, or sweat, oil. Without seeing myself, I really can’t say whether it’s the pan itself or just the gasket. Either way, the oil pan has to be removed to replace the gasket. So if it actually turned out to be a leaking pan, it’s just the cost of the replacement oil pan.added to the repair. The labor is no different. Differentials generally use gear oil of different weights depending on the application. Diff fluid is basically a very thick oil so it would generally appear as dirty oil on the ground if it’s leaking.

3. 2006 Ford Escape oil pan is sweating, is it the gasket or is it the pan?