Q: 2002 Infinity I35 oil leak/white smoke under hood

Hello, I have an Infinity 2002 I35 V6 3.5. Ive had an oil leak for about a year, and have to put a quart of oil in about once every 1.5 weeks ( daily work commute takes 30 minutes there and 30 back, 75%of which being highway @80mph). Most days (weather non a variable) white smoke comes from under my hood from both sides on the flank. It happens more during the morning drive there (before interstate) and stops by time I get to work, and also on the drive back (AFTER interstate this time) but is usually not there when I arrive at home. There is also black dirty buildup on the front of the engine block. Could this be a valve cover gasket prob, or something else?

A: Valve cover gaskets are a common source of ...

Valve cover gaskets are a common source of oil leaks. However since your engine has oil all over the block, it ’s best to clean the engine of all the built up oil so the source of the leak can be easily seen. Once you see the source, then replace whatever is causing it. That way, you’re not just replacing parts in hopes of replacing the right one. Also, even if you do replace the correct part, you will continue to get the burning oil/smoking odor if the built up oil is not cleaned off. If you’d like some assistance with pinpointing the source of the leak, contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic. They’ll be able to replace the leaking component as well to get your car running as it should.