Q: 2002 chrysler t & c alternator good but does not charge battery also behind dash buzzing sound

2002 chrysler T & C a few days ago started to have problem in charging system battery light came on. Checked alternator (good) & battery (good). Charged up battery. Drove T & C battery light came on battery loosing charge. Car still working and battery keeps going down. Today started a buzzing sound behind the dash and is not coming from motor area. I have gotten P 0455 on codes from vehical internal test. Also my charge indicator says alternator bad but off vehical test says good. What do you think.

A: Code P0455 relates to your EVAP system that...

Code P0455 relates to your EVAP system that controls the evaporation of fuel fumes in your fuel tank. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve solenoid controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. When this solenoid is not working properly, this will cause the car to hold onto harmful fuel vapors inside the tank which can result in many other problems.

The alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. Often times this will result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. In either case, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle's charging system.