Q: 1987 Ford Ranger won't pass smog check

My car won't pass a smog check. And if you start it while the radiator cap is off, water shoots out. Also, the clutch pedal gets high before engaging, and in Neutral I can hear the throwout bearing with the clutch out. The shifter lever broke a piece off the bottom, and it's stuck in first gear.

If you are getting engine compression into the radiator then you may have a blown head gasket. This is why you are failing emissions. The engine would need to be pressure tested to see where the leak is. The clutch pedal engaging high and the noise in transmission release bearing is an indicator that the clutch is getting worn out and in need of replacement with release bearing. The shift lever would need inspection to see what the broke part is. I recommend you have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic give your vehicle a complete inspection in order verify your issues and make the repairs needed to pass the smog test.

3. 1987 Ford Ranger won't pass smog check