Q: 1983 toyota corolla 69k miles on it and when I'm driving it acts like it wont take any gas.

asked by on March 18, 2017

It has 69k miles on it and it takes it a few tries before it'll crank and when it does crank it smells like pure gasoline. When it finally does crank it'll go for a few seconds and then sometimes stall out. But when it gets going for a few miles it'll be fine and then it acts like it doesn't get any gas and it won't accelerate so I'll have to restart it going down the road. Could it be the fuel tank? Or the fuel lines? I have already put a new carburetor and fuel pump and fuel filter on it. Also, my muffler has a rust hole in it and it makes the car sound like a pissed off bumble bee. Should I worry about replacing it right now? Or is it fine? And would you suggest me keeping the car and repairing it to where it'll run well or sell it?

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the exhaust smells like gasoline, the fuel mixture is either way too rich or you have a weak ignition system that is not burning the fuel efficiently. You can pull spark plugs out to check them and if they are wet or black they may be fouled and this can cause very rough running, misfires and stalling. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer inspection of the vehicle in order to run a few tests and offer a more personal diagnosis of your stalling and drivability concerns.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr