Q: 09 jetta bangs and jerks when shifting from park to drive or reverse when cold or first started. Jerks during gear shifts wen cold

asked by on July 16, 2017

Car makes bang noise and jerks when shifting from park to drive or reverse when cold or when first started. If driven before fully warm( meaning needle in middle) the car will jerk a lot during every upshift and downshift. Even if car is fully warm, it will still bang and jerk if I don't give it at least 10 second before shifting from park to drive or reverse when first started. Once car is completely warm, it drives perfect and shifts perfectly without jerk or bang. What is the likely cause for these issues? Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for your help

Hi there. When a car jerks or bangs when it’s running, it’s typically the result of an engine misfire or exhaust of vacuum leak. In many cases, this could also be due to ignition system components, wires or connections being damaged, loose or faulty. Since there are so many different possible sources of this issue, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an engine is shaking, pulsating or vibrating inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr