05 Sable won't start. Turns over but won't fire. Fuel fil...

Q: 05 Sable won't start. Turns over but won't fire. Fuel filter replaced, fuel pressure normal, car only starts with starting fluid.

asked by on August 13, 2017

I used starter fluid to get the car going yesterday. That seemed to work for the time being, and this morning I got the same issue. The grinding noise doesn't appear to be happening anymore, but after about 2+ hours of sitting, the car will crank and crank but won't fire. No RPMs coming up while cranking either.

Hooked up an Innova diagnostic tool to the car and got some readings I'm not sure what to do with.

This is the "Live Data" when my key is turned to the on position: Fuel Sys - OL Calc Load. - 0 ECT. - 102.2 Spark Adv. - 10 IAT. - 96.8 F TPS. - 18.4% O2S B1S1. - .01V 0% O2S B1S2. - .01V 99.2% O2S B2S1. - .01V 0% O2S B2S1. - .05V 99.2% FP/Vac - 37.4 PSI Baro(InHg) - 28.9 Sat Te 11. - 70.9 F Sat Te 21 - 70.9 F ECU Volts. - 12.4 EQ Ratio. - .917

Again, the Sable will crank strong, won't fire, no RPMs while cranking, can hear fuel pump when turning the key to on, new fuel filter, but will start with starting fluid. Any thoughts?

Fuel pressure may be good but the injectors should be checked for operation. At cold start, there is a temperature sensor that must be working properly to signal the PCM to enrich the mixture on cold start. Are there any downloadable diagnostic trouble codes? Check for low compression, vacuum leaks and air induction faults such as a stuck idle air control valve. Regardless of the underlying cause, if you request a no start diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you promptly. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.