Q: '13 Ford Focus Transmission

Hello,

I just got my clutch replaced for the third time. To prevent it from needing repair again, is there a recommended way to drive this vehicle? For example, putting it in neutral when I'm at a stop, or, accelerating really fast after a stop. Any insight would be appreciated. My transmission issues have been a nightmare. Thx!

Hi there. For whatever reason, the clutch systems on these Ford Focus’ are less than reliable. However, there are a few things I would recommend. The first thing to consider is how much are you slipping the clutch during normal driving. The initial start is typically what creates the most heat and wear on a clutch. However, stop and go driving in traffic; like on a highway can be incredibly hard on a clutch as well. If you commute, it might be best to use side streets as opposed to highways during rush hour. Don’t worry about shifting into neutral, as the act of shifting in and out of gear can also create excessive wear and tear of clutch master or slave cylinders.