How to Transfer a Car Title in Arkansas

Like all other states in the country, Arkansas requires a vehicle title to prove ownership of a vehicle (within certain limits, ages, and vehicle types). The state requires both the buyer and the seller to complete several specific steps during the process of the sale to ensure that the title can be transferred correctly. Not following these steps can result in delays, or completely derail the process.

Steps for buyers

  • Get a signed title from the seller. Make sure to sign your name under the buyer section and date it.
  • Get a lien release from the seller if there are any liens on the car. These should include a signed lien contract, as well as the Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title.
  • Get a bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement from the seller. Note that these are only required by the state of Arkansas if the control number is less than 3003001 or if the vehicle is from out of state (you’re buying a car that is registered outside of Arkansas).
  • Complete the Vehicle Registration Application.
  • Visit the OMV office and pay the $10 transfer fee, as well as the state and local taxes, and the registration fees (all of these vary depending on the vehicle in question, as well as the county).

Common mistakes

  • Not completing the registration application.
  • Not obtaining lien releases from the seller.

Steps for sellers

  • Sign the current title under the seller heading. Make sure to date it and complete all required fields.
  • Complete and sign the Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title form. If there is any documentation concerning liens, this must be given to the buyer.
  • If the car is under 10 years of age, complete an odometer disclosure statement and give it to the buyer. (Note that this is only necessary if the control number on the back of the title is lower than 3003001).
  • Complete a bill of sale (again, this is only necessary if the control number qualifies).
  • Complete the Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle. This form can be delivered to the Revenue Department in person, or it can be mailed to the address below:

Department of Finance and Administration Office of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 1272 Records Unit, Room 1100 Little Rock, AR 72203

Common mistakes

  • Not completing and submitting the Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle.
  • Not signing the title and completing all required fields.

Gifting and inheriting

The steps for transferring the title of a gifted or inherited vehicle are the same as above, with a couple of exceptions.

For more information about how to transfer a car title in Arkansas, visit the state’s OMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Transfer a Car Title in Virginia
While While the process of transferring a car title in Virginia is not that complex, there are several key steps that must be followed. This applies to any instance when the ownership of a vehicle changes, including inheriting a car,...
Arkansas Speed Limits, Laws, and Fines
Following Following is an overview of the laws, limits, and fines as they relate to speeding traffic violations in the state of Arkansas. Speed limits in Arkansas 70 mph: rural freeways and interstate highways, as posted 65 mph: trucks on...
Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Arkansas
The The rules for obtaining disabled driver status differ by state. The following are some of the qualifications you must possess in the state of Arkansas to obtain disabled driver status. How do I know if I qualify for disabled...

Related questions

Valve cover oil leaks
Thank you for your inquiry. The valve cover seal is a common failure item and generally and easy fix. In your case, the upper intake plenum/manifold wraps over the top of the engine and must be removed to complete the...
Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car
no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...
I'm not entirely clear, but I believe that you are saying that your AC is not working, but your concern is not with the AC but that the lack of a condenser fan will cause the car to overheat. Some...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·