Like all other states in the country, Arkansas requires a vehicle title to prove ownership of a vehicle (within certain limits, ages, and vehicle types). The state requires both the buyer and the seller to complete several specific steps during the process of the sale to ensure that the title can be transferred correctly. Not following these steps can result in delays, or completely derail the process.
Steps for buyers
- Get a signed title from the seller. Make sure to sign your name under the buyer section and date it.
- Get a lien release from the seller if there are any liens on the car. These should include a signed lien contract, as well as the Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title.
- Get a bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement from the seller. Note that these are only required by the state of Arkansas if the control number is less than 3003001 or if the vehicle is from out of state (you’re buying a car that is registered outside of Arkansas).
- Complete the Vehicle Registration Application.
- Visit the OMV office and pay the $10 transfer fee, as well as the state and local taxes, and the registration fees (all of these vary depending on the vehicle in question, as well as the county).
- Not completing the registration application.
- Not obtaining lien releases from the seller.
Steps for sellers
- Sign the current title under the seller heading. Make sure to date it and complete all required fields.
- Complete and sign the Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title form. If there is any documentation concerning liens, this must be given to the buyer.
- If the car is under 10 years of age, complete an odometer disclosure statement and give it to the buyer. (Note that this is only necessary if the control number on the back of the title is lower than 3003001).
- Complete a bill of sale (again, this is only necessary if the control number qualifies).
- Complete the Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle. This form can be delivered to the Revenue Department in person, or it can be mailed to the address below:
Department of Finance and Administration Office of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 1272 Records Unit, Room 1100 Little Rock, AR 72203
- Not completing and submitting the Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle.
- Not signing the title and completing all required fields.
Gifting and inheriting
The steps for transferring the title of a gifted or inherited vehicle are the same as above, with a couple of exceptions.
- For inherited vehicles, the Affidavit of Inheritance of a Motor Vehicle must be completed and submitted.
- For inherited vehicles, documents proving the death of the previous owner will be required.
For more information about how to transfer a car title in Arkansas, visit the state’s OMV website.