How to Renew Your Car Registration in Kentucky

Getting to and from work on a daily basis in Kentucky can only be done by having a car that is legal to drive. There are a variety of things that a person will need to do in order to keep their car legal, like having it registered with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing. Each year, you will have to make sure that this registration is renewed. Luckily, you will be able to get a notice from the Kentucky DMV reminding you that the renewal is due. Here is what will be on that renewal notice:

  • The VIN of the car in question
  • The name and address of the vehicle owner
  • The expiration date of the current renewal
  • The renewal fee that you will have to pay

Taking advantage of the online renewal system

In order to use the online system, you will have to meet certain criteria. Here are the things that you will need to have in order to use this system:

  • The current address you are at is on file with the county clerk
  • You own the vehicle
  • There are no unpaid taxes on the vehicle
  • Your current registration is on file with the county clerk

If you do meet these criteria, here is how you will need to go about getting the renewal handled:

  • Go to the Motor Vehicle Licensing System website
  • Enter your license plate number
  • Put in the title number
  • Give the site your email address
  • Enter your phone number
  • Pay the fees that you owe

Handling the process in person

You will be able to handle the registration renewal process in person if you wish. In order to do this you will need to go to your local DMV with the following items:

  • The registration certificate
  • The car insurance documents
  • The money that you need to pay the fees you owe

The registration renewal fees

When going in for this renewal, you will have to pay some fees. Here are the fees that you will can look forward to paying during this process:

  • A standard vehicle will cost you $21 to renew
  • A motorcycle will be $18.50 to renew

For more information on this process, be sure to go to the Kentucky DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Register a Car in Wisconsin
Driving Driving a car is something that most people take for granted. When moving to a new state, like Wisconsin, you will need to check to make sure you are complying with all of their laws. Having your car registered...
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Wyoming
The The state of Wyoming requires that all vehicles be registered once per year. Failure to do so means that your car will not be legal to drive on the roads. Proceeds from the renewal fees go to maintaining the...
The Guide to Legal Car Modifications in Kentucky
ARENA Creative / Whether you live in Kentucky or are moving to the area, you need to know what vehicle modifications are permitted so that your car or truck is street legal. The information below will...

Related questions

Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
green light is on on dash in my toyota camry 2010
Hello, thank you for writing in. The color of the warning light should give you some information about how serious the situation is. If it is green or blue, typically this means whatever corresponding system is functioning or currently in...
Coolant temperature gauge does not move at all. 1998 Ford Ranger
Hi there - most likely the coolant temperature sensor ( (for the gauge, not the coolant sensor that drives the fuel injection - there are usually two) is toast. This can be checked with an ohm meter. A reading of...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·