How to Register a Car in Michigan

For most people, taking up residence in a new area is a great way for them to get a fresh start. If you are planning a move to the state of Michigan, there are a variety of things that you will have to do to ensure you comply with all of their laws. One of the most important things that you have to do when moving to Michigan is to register your vehicle. In order to do this, you will have to visit the Michigan Secretary of State’s office in person. You will need to make sure that you register your vehicle no later than 60 days after you move to avoid a late fee. When going to the Secretary of State’s office, here are the things that you need to take with you to avoid any delay in the car registry process:

  • Proof that you have a no-fault car insurance policy in Michigan
  • The title that you have from your former state
  • The vehicle registration from the state you formerly lived in
  • A completed Application for Michigan Vehicle Title
  • Payment for the registration expenses

For current Michigan residents who have bought a car from a dealership, you will also have to visit the Secretary of State’s office in order to register the vehicle. Generally, the dealership will handle this registry process. Any documents that they have regarding the registration should be given to you so you can get a license plate.

If the car in question has been purchased from a private seller, then here are the things that you will need to take with you to get the vehicle registered:

  • The title that has been signed over to you
  • Be sure the title includes an accurate odometer reading
  • If there is a lien holder, then their signature should be on the title
  • A valid driver’s license
  • Proof of no fault auto insurance

There are fees that you will have to pay when trying to get your vehicle registered in the state of Michigan. The fees that you can expect to pay are as follows:

  • For cars 1984 and newer the fee is based on the MSRP of the vehicle
  • If the vehicle is a 1982 model or older, the fee will be based on the car’s weight

Make sure that you secure a no fault insurance policy before going in to get a car registered. Without this document, you will not be able to register any vehicle. For more questions on this process, be sure to visit the Michigan DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Register a Car in Oregon
Moving Moving to a new state can be a bit of a daunting task. Most people fail to realize just how much work goes into getting settled in a new area. If you are a new resident to Oregon, the...
Michigan Speed Limits, Laws, and Fines
Following Following is an overview of the laws, limits, and fines as they relate to speeding traffic violations in the state of Michigan. Speed limits in Michigan 70 mph: many areas of urban and rural freeways and interstates (60 mph...
Insurance Requirements For Car Registration in All States
Car insurance is mandatory when registering a vehicle. Find out what the insurance requirements are in your state or when traveling to another state.

Related questions

Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
Engine idle fluctuates
This may be a result of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve ( reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds...
power steering issue
If the system was recently opened up to replace any parts, what you are describing is typically a consequence of air trapped in the system, and consequent aeration of the power steering fluid, which builds pressure in the reservoir. Check...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·