How to Register a Car in Maryland

In order to get a vehicle registered in Maryland, you will either need to go to the Maryland Vehicle Administration or send in the documents by mail. There is a 60-day grace period when it comes to registering a vehicle in Maryland once you have moved there. If you are a new resident of Maryland and trying to register your vehicle, here is what you will need:

  • The vehicle title from the previous state that it was registered in
  • Completed Application for Certificate of Title
  • If you are leasing the vehicle, you will need to bring in the lease agreement
  • A Security Interest Filing Statement
  • If anyone else is registered on the vehicle, you will need a Power of Attorney
  • An inspection certificate from the State of Maryland

If you are a current resident of Maryland and have purchased a car from a dealership, you will have to register it. Here are the things that you will need to bring when going to the Maryland Vehicle Administration to register the vehicle:

  • Completed Application for Certificate of Title
  • All insurance information
  • Ownership documents like the title or bill of sale
  • Odometer reading information
  • A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate
  • Lien holder information if applicable

If you have purchased a vehicle from a private party and need to get it registered, here are some of the things that you will need to bring:

  • The current title with your name on it
  • The Maryland Safety Certificate
  • Completed Application for Certificate of Title
  • A bill of sale that is notarized
  • An odometer disclosure statement.

There will be a fee when registering your vehicle. The following are the fees that you will have to pay:

  • Passenger or multi-use vehicles that are less than 3700 lbs. are $135 to register
  • Passenger or multi-use vehicles that are over 3700 lbs. are $187 to register
  • Street rod vehicles are $51 to register
  • Motorcycles are $104 to register
  • If you are doing a registration transfer, then you will need to pay $10

Before you are able to get your car registered, you will need to get both an emissions and safety inspection. Each of these certificates are good for 90 days and are void if they are not used in that time period to register the vehicle. If you have any more questions, be sure to visit the [Maryland DMV website.]

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Renew Your Car Registration in West Virginia
The The state of West Virginia requires vehicle owners to register their vehicles every year. The fee charged for registration is used to help keep roads maintained and for other purposes by the Department of Motor Vehicles. All renewals must...
How to Transfer a Car Title in Maryland
All All vehicles must be titled to show ownership in the state of Maryland. However, when a car changes ownership, the title also needs to change hands. It also needs to change names – it has to be transferred from...
What are the Car Pool Lane Rules in Maryland?
A A large percentage of Maryland drivers rely on the state’s major freeways when commuting to and from work, as well as while driving to school, the grocery store, and various other places. These drivers usually use the freeways on...

Related questions

Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
Caliper sticking
Hello. This is not usually a common problem, however, it is possible and can happen for a variety of unforeseen reasons. Usually when a caliper sticks it is a result of a misaligned caliper ( or potentially a wheel bearing...
What do I charge to replace a radiator labor only parts are paid for
Hi there. As much as we'd like, we really can't offer this type of advice here. We offer technical assistance on OEM service and repairs.

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·