Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. How to Register a Car in New Hampshire

How to Register a Car in New Hampshire

Registration New Hampshirt

One of the best places to move to is New Hampshire due to its natural beauty and the great residents that inhabit this state. If you are making a move to New Hampshire, you will have to make sure you have all of your proverbial ducks in a row. Among the most important things that you will need to do when moving to New Hampshire is getting your car registered. In order to do this, you will have to go in person the town clerk’s office in the area where you live. You have 60 days from the time you move to New Hampshire to get this done before you are at risk of a late fee. The best thing to do before going in for this process is to get these documents together. You should:

  • Produce the out of state title and registration
  • Have the lease agreement in hand if you are still paying on the car
  • You will need proof of residency the state like a bill at your new address

New Hampshire residents who have purchased new cars from a dealership will also have to register them. Here is what you will need to complete this process:

  • The title for the vehicle
  • The Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin
  • The lien holder information
  • Proof that you are a resident of New Hampshire

If the car that you have purchased is from a private seller, then you will need to follow the steps below to get it registered:

  • Get the vehicle signed over to you
  • Have proof that you are a resident of the state
  • Get an Odometer Disclosure Statement

When going in to get your vehicle registered, you will need to prepare to pay the following fees:

  • For vehicles that weight 3,000 lbs. or less, there is a $31.20 free for registration
  • If the vehicle weights between 3,001 to 5000 lbs., you will pay $43.20
  • Vehicles between 5,001 and 8,000 lbs. will cost $55.20 to register them
  • If the vehicle weighs 8,001 to 73,280 lbs. will cost $.96 per 100 lbs. to register

You will have to get a safety inspection and an emission test before you are able to register a vehicle in the state of New Hampshire. Go to the New Hampshire DMV website to find out more information on this process.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

How Long Does a Throttle Return Spring Last?
Not all vehicles on the road feature an electronic throttle control (ETC), which is also called drive-by-wire. For vehicles that don't offer this system, they have a throttle cable instead that...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Idaho
The state of Idaho offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...

Related questions

Q: Expired registration and inspection

Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...

Q: I had a shop from http://BMWmechanicBoca.Com tell me that I may need a battery registered for my BMW

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically when you are prompted to register a new part or accessory, you are doing so for the warranty. This is a process of contacting the company and letting them know that you have...

Q: Antique vs custom built registration.

This is something you will need to check with the NC department of motor vehicles. Unfortunately, we are not authorized to give information regarding the legal registration of vehicles.