All vehicles must be registered through the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you are a new resident, this must be completed in person and under 90 days once you establish residency. Before registering, you must be able to provide proof of auto insurance that meets state minimums, which are $25,000 for harm or death of one person, $50,000 for harm or death of two or more, $15,000 for destruction of property.
New resident registration
If you are a new resident in the state of Idaho and wish to register your vehicle you will need to provide:
- Registration from previous state
- Driver’s license
- Social Security number
- Evidence of address of residency
- VIN inspection
- Pay registration fees
If your purchase a vehicle from a dealer, they will submit all of the information for you. If you purchase a car from a private seller, you are required to register the vehicle within 30 days. This must be done in person at the local DMV office.
Registering a vehicle
To register the vehicle you will need to:
- Complete an application for certificate of title
- Turn in a vehicle or hull identification number inspection certificate
- If your vehicle is under 10 years old, you will need an odometer reading
- Provide proof of car insurance for Idaho
- Pay $14 and 6 percent sales tax
Military members or other residents of Idaho who are temporarily out-of-state may register their vehicle through the mail.
Registration for out-of-state
If you are out of state and wish to register you vehicle by mail you will need to provide:
- Title and/or bill of sale
- Completed application for certificate title
- A vehicle or hull identification number inspection certification
- An odometer reading
- Copy of your driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- $14 and 6 percent sales tax
Checks may be made out to the Ada Country Processing Center. Mail the original documents to the address on the application for certificate of title form and make sure you hold on to the copies.
Registration fees depend on the age of your vehicle and the county in where you reside. Here are the fees you can expect to pay:
- One to two years old is $48
- Three to four years old is $36
- Five to six years old is $36
- Seven to eight years old is $24
- Eight years or older is $24
- Motorcycles are $25
- Title fee is $14
Some inspections need to be completed in order to register your vehicle. This includes a VIN inspection and emissions inspections. A VIN inspection needs to be done no matter what county you live in. Emission inspections need to be completed if you live in Canyon County, most of Ada County, and the city of Kuna. Testing must be completed every two years and if you ignore the testing mandate, your car registration will be revoked.
Visit the Idaho DMV website to find out more about what you can expect from this process.