Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. How to Register a Car in Indiana

How to Register a Car in Indiana

registration indiana

All vehicles must be registered through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to be legally driven. If you have just moved to Indiana, you must complete the registration within 60 days and this can be done in person or online through the MyBMV portal. Before registering the vehicle, you need to have an Indiana title in your name for the vehicle. After that, follow the same steps as residents of Indiana.

If you have purchased a car from a dealership, the dealer will take care of all of the registration and titling documentation for you. In addition, they will collect the registration fees once you purchase the vehicle.

A vehicle purchased from a private seller can be registered online once you have completed the title application and the vehicle was purchased in the last 45 days. The vehicle can also be registered in person at the local BMV office and this must be completed within 45 days as well.

Register Online

Ro register your vehicle online you will need to:

  • Go to MyBMV portal online
  • Make a new account or sign in to your existing one
  • Provide IN driver’s license number
  • Title information
  • Pay registration fees

Register in Person

To register in person you will need to provide:

  • IN driver’s license
  • Vehicle title
  • Proof of Indiana auto insurance
  • Registration fees


Members of the military who are not residents of Indiana are not required to register their vehicle. The vehicle still needs to stay up to date on registration in your home state and needs to be properly insured.

If you are a member of the military stationed in Indiana, and a resident of the state, you may register your vehicle the same way civilians register as outlined above. For military members who are residents of Indiana and stationed outside of the state can register their vehicles through the online portal.

Visit the Indiana DMV website to find out more about what you can expect from this process.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

P0222 OBD-II Trouble Code: Throttle/Pedal Position Switch/Sensor B Circuit Low Input
P0222 code definition Throttle/Pedal Position Switch/Sensor B Circuit Low Input What the P0222...
How to Get a Louisiana Driver's Permit
s licensing program. The first step in this program is to obtain...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in New Mexico
The state of New Mexico offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch...

Related questions

Q: Expired registration and inspection

Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...