Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Hawaii

Each state has its own rules and guidelines for disabled drivers. It is important to know the different rules for your state.

In the state of Hawaii, for instance, you are eligible for a disability parking permit if you suffer from one of the following conditions:

  • Inability to walk 200 feet without taking a rest

  • If you have a cardiac condition classified as a Class III or IV by the American Heart Association

  • If you have a lung disease that restricts or severely inhibits your ability to breathe

  • If you are legally blind

  • If you suffer from an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition that inhibits your mobility

  • If you use portable oxygen

  • If you require a cane, crutch, wheelchair, or some other assistive device to walk

What types of permits are available in Hawaii?

Hawaii offers several types of disability permits. One is the temporary disability placard, which is available if you expect your disability will last less than six months. Temporary placards are valid only for six months and must be renewed. To renew, complete the Person with a Disability Parking Permit Application. The application requires that you have a licensed physician certify that you do in fact suffer from a disability that will make you eligible for disabled driver status. Lastly, you must submit the form, in person, to your nearest county DMV. This location should be listed on your application form.

A second option is a permanent placard, which is valid for four years. The application process for the permanent placard is the same, and still requires confirmation and authorization by a licensed physician.

A third option is a special license plate, and this is available if you have a permanent disability. While permanent placards in Hawaii are free, a temporary placard will cost you 12 dollars, along with an additional fee of 12 dollars for each replacement temporary placard. Special license plates cost five dollars and fifty cents along with any registration fees. Please note that you must submit your application in person unless your physician verifies that you cannot get to the county office. In this case, you will be allowed to mail your application to your closest DMV.

What happens if someone is abusing a disabled parking placard?

Misusing or abusing your disabled parking privileges is a misdemeanor, and may result in fines from 250 to 500 dollars. Make sure that you do not lend your placard to anyone else. In order to use the placard you must be inside the vehicle, acting as either the driver or a passenger. You may also be fined for displaying an expired placard. Please make sure that you renew your temporary placard every six months, or if you have a permanent placard, that you renew it every four years.

Can I use my out-of-state placard or license plate if I am visiting Hawaii?

Yes. Hawaii, perhaps because it is such a popular destination for tourists, allows you to use your out-of-state parking placard while you are visiting.

What if I lose or damage my placard?

In this case, you must download the Person with a Disability Parking Permit Application, enclose the original placard, and submit both items to your closest county DMV.

Where am I allowed to park with my disabled parking placard and/or special license plate?

You may park anywhere you see the International Symbol of Access. You may not park in areas marked “no parking anytime” or in bus zones. Also, you may park in a metered space for up to two and a half hours without paying the meter fee. Please note that many states have very specific laws about how long you may park in a metered space. Some states allow you to park for an unlimited amount of time, while others, such as Hawaii, will allow a long but limited amount of time.

Where should I display my placard?

You should hang your placard from your rearview mirror. However, while you are driving be sure to place the placard elsewhere, as it might obstruct your vision if it is left hanging from the mirror. Make sure that the expiration date is facing the windshield so that a law enforcement officer can see the placard easily if he or she needs to.

If you feel that you need assistance while driving, you might want to look into obtaining a disabled driver placard and/or license plate. There are obvious benefits, and you do not want to cause yourself more pain by trying to do more than you should. By following the guidelines above, you will be able to apply for a disabled driver parking placard and/ or license in the state of Hawaii.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Wyoming
If If you live in the State of Wyoming, and you have a disability, then you can get special permits that will allow you to park in special spots and also enjoy other privileges that are not available to you...
Driving Laws and Permits in the State of Indiana
Whether Whether you are a disabled driver or not, it is important to understand the disabled driver laws in your state. Each state has its own specific requirements and regulations for disabled drivers. Indiana is no exception. What types of...
Disabled Driving Laws and Permits in Kentucky
Disabled Disabled driver laws change from one state to another. It is important that you know the laws not only for the state that you live in, but also for states in which you might be visiting or traveling through....

Related questions

Car not moving when pressing the gas pedal
The first thing to check would be the shifter cable and adjustment, and check the computer for transmission codes, especially range sensor codes. If the computer does not know the car is in “drive”, it will not activate the proper...
I have a crack on my windshield
Every state will vary as well as the person performing the inspection. However, in most states, a crack larger than 4 inches (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/windshield-laws-in-hawaii-by-valerie-mellema) will not pass this kind of safety inspection. There are also different types of cracks that have...
01 jetta wont go into reverse
There are some plastic bushings in the shifter that will crack and fall out making the shifting sloppy. This is probably what has happened to you. They might be in the base of the shifter itself, or in the bell...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com