Q: My Volkswagen Golf GTI is idling above 1000 revs and engine stalls

asked by on February 19, 2017

My Volkswagen gti is idling above 1k revs and engine is stalling, as I turn the ignition on it goes above 1k revs and keeps revving burning excess fuel

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

First you want to look for vacuum leaks. Any air that gets into the engine without going through proper channels can cause bad behavior like you describe. Look under the hood for broken or loose vacuum hoses or any large rubber parts that are in bad condition or seem to be fitting poorly. Ir you don’t find a problem there you may start to suspect the throttle body: a very common failure on the VW’s. Throttle bodies are expensive, so you would do well to have this diagnosed professionally. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your VW and tell you what it’s going to take to fix it.