Q: Would a timing chain problem cause misfiring codes?

would a faulty timing chain cause misfiring codes and what other codes would it cause?

Hi there - yes, a worn or stretched timing chain, weak timing chain tensioner, or worn timing chain guides can cause misfiring, cam timing problem codes, low power and generally poor running of the engine. Most, if not all, of these problems will illuminate the Check Engine light. It is also possible for the timing chain to break - although this is not common - with excessive wear or a weak tensioner. That would result in major engine damage. I recommend having a certified technician diagnose the Check Engine codes in person so they can pinpoint the problem and follow through with repairs.

3. Would a timing chain problem cause misfiring codes?