Q: emmissins test says i need oxygen sensor heater

I purchased used engine runs great. Had Water pump replaced tune up oil change new thermostat, new struts. It won't pass emmissions due to oxygen sensor heater needs replaced, and rear catalytic converter efficency is below threshhold bank 2. what ever that means. I can replace oxygen sensor right away, will it pass emmissions then? or is another $400. in repair work needed.?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The error message you got about the low threshold means the oxygen sensor has failed, the fuel system is off, or the catalytic converter is having issues. The amount of information available isn’t enough to tell which is responsible. You will want to start with the oxygen sensors, as they are most likely going to fail first. You can do more testing on the oxygen sensors before hand if you are equipped with a multi-meter. Otherwise it is a process of elimination. For more help replacing the sensors or more testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. emmissins test says i need oxygen sensor heater