Q: Would a broken AC compressor cause the serpentine belt to break? 2009 Saturn Outlook

My ac compressor has died and I have a new one on order. The ac clutch wheel is still spinning so I disconnect the compressor so it can act as a bypass until I am able to replace it then installed a new belt. However the belt broke after a couple to drives. Will replacing tension and idle pulley resolve the issue of the belt breaking?

Hi there, yes, the air conditioning compressor is capable of breaking the serpentine belt a couple of ways. If the AC compressors seizes while operating, the shock load can snap the serpentine belt. If the AC clutch bearing seizes while the AC compressor is not operating, the belt can snap then as well. Replacing the serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulley at the same time as the belt is always a good idea. They wear out too! For assistance I recommend an AC compressor and serpentine belt replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Would a broken AC compressor cause the serpentine belt to break? 2009 Saturn Outlook