Q: Check engine light is always on, what can I do?

I have a repeat problem with my 2010 Kia Soul where the Check Engine light will not stop turning on. Sometimes it will illuminate if I just tighten the gas cap. I've had it reset by the dealer, but nothing else seems to work. The problem is persistent, but the light itself is really unpredictable. I am worried for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I don’t want to replace every little part trying to find a solution. I am also worried the engine will run poorly if something with the sensors is faulty.

The evaporative emissions system on the Kia Soul is susceptible in warm climates or times of the year when spiders nest in the evaporative vent system, causing the check engine light to randomly come on. When the system is tested, a code P0449 may be set for the vent solenoid problem. The only fix is to have a technician check the vent solenoid and clean out any spiders or webs to allow the system to work properly. If you do not find any spiders or webs, then an inspection for leaks by checking your system with a smoke machine would help diagnose any problems. I would recommend getting a new fuel cap, if you’ve had success in the past with it. I would also advise having a certified mechanic, such as one with YourMechanic, run a diagnostic on your check engine light at your home or office and have the evaporative emissions system checked out for possible causes.

3. Check engine light is always on, what can I do?