Q: Truck keeps cutting out when driving - 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

asked by on September 30, 2016

I took it to a mechanic shop and they took a look at it and said it was caused by my water pump being bad but my gauges on my truck never showed the truck overheating. Could my water pump being bad cause my truck to start to cut out when i am driving it?

Hello there, many different faults could cause your 2001 Chevrolet Silverado to cut out and die while running. The most common would be an alternator, battery, wiring harness fault, fuel pump, battery cable, vacuum leak, spark plugs, or a coil. If the water pump pulley was binding the belt system it could cause the engine to lose power as the alternator output would drop. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your truck’s stalling issue and perform any repairs required.