Q: Vehicle wont shift out of first gear, only first and reverse gears work

trans wont shift out of first gear

Hello there, a variety of faults will cause your 1999 Mercedes ML430 to not shift out of first gear. The first step in any transmission or shifting issue is to check the transmission fluid level, condition, and color. After the transmission fluid has been inspected there are a few other potential faults such as a shift solenoid, valve body, transmission leak, shift cable, or a transmission mechanical issue. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your shifting issues and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

• Vehicle wont shift out of first gear, only first and reverse gears work