Q: Water Pump Replacement 2007 Mazda6

My 2007 Mazda 6i 2.3L was recently in a wreck in which the water pump was damaged, and coolant was leaking out. I am doing the repair myself, I took off the serpentine belt, the water pump pulley, etc. I took off all the bolts that hold on the water pump but it refuses to come off, there are no forum's or videos I can look to to help me, so I would appreciate the help. Thank you

A: There are two possible water pump designs f...

There are two possible water pump designs for your motor. One uses a large rubber o-ring to seal the pump and the other uses a gasket.

The water pump with the o-ring will be inserted into a housing in the motor. This often creates a very tight fit for removal as dried coolant acts as a glue. To remove it, use two pry bars, use one if that is all you can get into the space, and gently, firmly and consistently pry the pump out. Often, it is useful to use a hammer to gently but firmly tap on the pump to loosen it. A combination of these two techniques is not out of the ordinary to remove this style of pump. It may seem as though it isn’t moving, but every action you do to this pump will be making progress until it finally releases and falls out.

The gasket style pumps should only need a few taps from a hammer for the gasket to release. Sometimes a pry bar is needed, but more often than not, some gentle, firm tapping from a hammer will do the trick.

Sometimes a pump will be stuck on firmer than others, but I assure you, if all the bolts are removed it just takes some perseverance to break the pump loose.

If you decide that you’d rather have the pump removed for you, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come perform the water pump replacement at your home or office.