Q: Can an oil change cause my gasket cover valve to crack?

I have never had any problems with my car in the past. I went to take in my car to recieve a simple oil change at jiffy lube. Out of no where my car starts smoking from the engine and the tail pipe. They told me it was just burning off oil. Then more and more smoke started coming from the car. My husband said he watched the mechanic pour water on the car (he said to remove oil they spilt) we ended up having to have it towed the next day because it wouldn't even start up. The new mechanic from gates Chevy world said it looked like my cover gasket valve was cracked and needed replaced. How does my car go from perfectly fine to smoking everywhere and a cracked valve? Could this be caused from a simple oil change?

There is a possibility the valve cover gasket had a weak seal and began to leak. The exhaust manifold is mounted just below the valve cover on one side of the engine, so leaking or spilled oil may come into contact with the exhaust manifold and burn from the heat. Whether the damage was caused by the previous service or a manufacturer defect, it will be hard to tell. But this is not usually the outcome of an oil change.