Q: Car tries to crank, but won't start.

My car won't start and the check engine soon, oil, and brake lights came on and now stay on. I can hear the engine trying to crank, but it won't turn over.

It looks like there can be a couple of concerns going on here with your vehicle. Observing all of the lights illuminate on the dashboard is actually a good sign. When turning the key to the on position in your car, all the indicator lights should illuminate. This is done as a self check to be ensure they are all in working order. Now when you continue to turn the key to start the car, if you hear the starter trying to start, but being unable to turn over, the problem will lay in either one of two parts, the starter or the battery. The battery provides the appropriate amperage to allow the starter to do its job. While we can narrow this down to two components, it is always best to have this issue inspected by a certified mechanic before attempting to replace parts.