Q: Won't start, loose shift rod - 1997 Volvo S90

I started my car and shifted gears to Drive and remembered I needed to put coolant in the radiator. I put the car back into Park and topped off the radiator. I got back in the car to start it, and it wouldn’t turn over. Then I thought it might be my gear shift rod under my car that was loose causing my car not to start. I had it tightened, but I still couldn’t start the car. Someone told me it might be the rod inside my transmission causing this. Do you have any idea why my car won’t start?

Hi there. You need to check the battery first. The battery needs to be load tested in order to be able to tell if it is failing. If the battery is fine, then the issue may be in the transmission position sensor or in the ignition switch. I have seen a lot of ignition switches fail as well as key issues that cause this. I usually test the battery and then check and see if the starter solenoid is getting power. If not, then there is a control circuit issue from the ignition. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting problem and guide with repairs.

3. Won't start, loose shift rod - 1997 Volvo S90