Q: Won't Start in rain

asked by on July 27, 2016

My Safari AWD won’t start when it rains. If I crank it every few minutes for an hour or two it might start. And my van will start right up if you wait for it to stop raining and dry off a little. Then it runs perfect! The electronic brake monitor was changed at the local GM dealer and cat went out of it. Do you know why this happens? Thanks.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement $105.38 - $768.03 Get a Quote

Hello. It sounds like moisture may be causing the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor to give an improper reading of engine timing. The camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor read the timing of each respective shaft. If one or both of these sensors are faulty or being affected by the rain, it may be difficult to start that engine.

It is possible for corrosion in the connector to cause this type of problem, and corrosion is created by excess water/moisture. An issue with the battery and charging system could also cause problems with starting the engine when it is raining. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your battery and charging system, as well as assess your problem to determine if the camshaft position sensor and/or crankshaft position sensor needs to be replaced.