Q: Windows lower for no reason, what’s broken?

The windows in my 2009 Honda Odyssey lower at random. Why is this is happening on a car with only 21,000 miles on it? It is annoying! I am worried someone will use the window to break into the car. What can I do about this?

A: To help diagnose the situation, a few piece...

To help diagnose the situation, a few pieces of information are important. Is this 2009 Honda Odyssey is equipped with a sunroof? Does this issue only occur when you are out of the car while it is parked? Some Honda models (including Odyssey) include a feature (covered in your owner’s manual under “Opening the Windows and Moonroof with the remote transmitter) that allows the owner to operate the windows and moonroof with the remote by pressing unlock twice, holding down 2nd press (window goes down as long as the button is held). There are 2 other possible components that would result in only the windows going down with no effect to the moonroof: the window master switch, and turning the key left and holding it in the driver’s door lock. You can also roll them back up by putting the key into the driver’s door lock, turning it to the right twice and holding it. All of these occurrences are designed by Honda for this car as a normal operation. In the case the features malfunctioning, have the car inspected by a professional like YourMechanic directly at your location. Usually an inadvertent press of the remote causes these issues.