Q: Will running your car's a/c unit with a broken a/c compressor cause the transmission to act up?

asked by on August 04, 2016

I drove my 2000 mitsubishi mirage with the a/c knowing the compressor is broken.

AC is not working Inspection $96.46 - $106.46 Get a Quote
AC Compressor Replacement $672.08 - $2753.22 Get a Quote

Air conditioner compressors are not engaged unless the air conditioning is switched ON. Mounted to the front of the A/C compressor is an electro-magnetic clutch. Meaning, the clutch and belt spin freely without the internals of the compressor engaged and being moved along with the clutch pulley. Once you switch the A/C ON, then the clutch is energized electrically to engage the internals of the compressor and spins them along with the clutch pulley.

As long as the A/C compressor is not physically damaged (broken or seized), it should not effect the normal operation of the engine and transmission. If, however, when you switch the A/C ON, and the car begins to run poorly, then I suggest you do not operate the air conditioning until you have the AC system diagnosed and AC compressor replaced if necessary.