Q: Check engine light came on then off

asked by on July 14, 2017

Check engine light came on 5 days ago a day later it disappeared autozone told me it was possibly my TDC sensor. As i was driving home the light went off. 4 days later i took it to a mechanic they checked the sensor out plus try to see if anything else could be wrong but they could not find anything wrong. Is there a reason why my light just came on then off? Should i be worried?

The check engine light comes on when the computer detects a component or sensor is out of range with signal back to computer. The computer will put on the light and if the problem goes away for a certain amount of engine start cycles without the problem happening again may turn off the light but will still store the code in memory. If the problem is not present now then you will have to drive it until the light comes on again so it can be properly diagnosed by a (mechanic) like one from [YourMechanic].

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr